Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Inis Mor, Killarney~ A Love Life




I’m still thinking about Inis Mor, the writer’s retreat and what a great experience that was. I am remembering how fit we all were. How we climbed tall rock walls, hiked through thick grass, jumped streams and dodged cows, big cows as we walked around, the “Seven Stone Holy Well,” seven times with our guide Dara.
  
   

And then there’s Killarney, always warm and welcoming. I only had a week this time and it went fast. I’m happy to say I was able to see most everyone I wanted though. I also got to do the Yoga class one morning that I discovered a couple years ago and I was there for “Culture Night,” and enjoyed hearing some great poetry readings from the local Killarney poets.

Walking through the park is a must. The one day, I got rained on, but the rain in Ireland doesn’t seem to bother anyone. There were still folks on horseback, and the Jaunty Cars were clip clopping through the puddles taking visitors to see the gardens, Ross Castle and the Torc Waterfall.
















The next day, I got to see the Red Deer of Killarney National Park. The Red Deer is Ireland’s largest native land mammal and they’ve been around since the last ice age some 10,000 years ago. They’re beautiful and I was able to get a pretty good picture. It was a beautiful sunny day that day, Ireland’s weather can change in a matter of minutes. 
 
I’m now sitting in Washington Dulles Airport waiting for my connection to Las Vegas and this thought occurred to me.
Remember when we were younger, and someone would say “How’s your love life?”

Well I’m thinking our love life is what we’re doing right now, how we’re living. Maybe it’s how we feel connected to the world or a place.  Perhaps It’s the conversations we have or how people respond to us. It’s the people we meet when we travel, the women, men and children. It’s the way we feel when we walk into the cathedral, a restaurant, or the pub. It’s the woman who works in the shop, or the older man who gives you a nod at morning mass.

In the end, it’s always the people, those at Murphy’s who welcome me year after year with open arms. Friends I’ve made over the years who are always home when I'm there and make time for a cup of tea, lunch or a pint.

I'm taking this feeling home with me.














 


 
























No comments:

Post a Comment