Saturday, April 18, 2015

Zagreb


It was another early morning flight yesterday, but The Hilton Hotel was really helpful with its 3:30 wake up call, a big bag of breakfast goodies to take to the airport and a car ready to get us there in plenty of time for our 6:30 flight.  

 I don’t know why, but I had it in my mind that the flight from Dubrovnik to Zagreb was two hours, so when we touched down in less than an hour, it was great.

 Zagreb greeted us with lots of rain. It was so much greener than both of us expected, but with an umbrella and jackets we enjoyed the Town Center for lunch and a walk in one of their many beautiful parks.

 Zagreb is interesting in that there are very few single family homes. There are lots of high rise, high density apartments, typical of any former Communist country.

 The roads are wide with traffic going both ways and plenty of room for tram tracks down the center. The tram was just outside the hotel making it easy to get around.

 Today we hired a driver who will show us the Croatian countryside, with the main focus being Mrkopalj. Mrkopalj is a small village in the mountains where my dad’s family came from. This is one of those trips I was never sure would happen and now look at me.
I’m in Croatia headed for Mrkopalj!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment