Friday, September 4, 2015

Dublin's Fine City


 
Dublin is such a great city!  I’ve been here several times now and with each visit I learn something new, or I see something that makes me laugh or perhaps jealous of the boldness in it. There’s an energy that excites me as I walk up and down and along the streets of Dublin.  

This morning while having yet another great breakfast, Carmel, the lovely woman who has worked here in the dining room for many years spots me and once again I am greeted like an old friend.

After a great conversation and introductions to the newer employees, she sends me on my way to walk up to St. Stephen’s Green. I took the raincoat, but really didn’t think I was going to need it this morning. It’s been a lot colder this year than past years and I haven’t seen much sun yet. But then, I don’t come here for the sun now do I? HA! That sounded quite Irish if I do say so.

 I decided to walk just a little bit farther, before going into the park. I am so glad I did. I came across the greatest museum, one I had never noticed before while here. See! That’s what I’m talking about. “The Little Museum of Dublin” It’s on St. Stephen’s Green between Dawson and Kildare streets. (I’ll tell you about Dawson Street later)  

I was just in time for a guided tour that took us through three floors of Dublin’s history. Everything in the museum has been donated by the people of Dublin. The first edition of the manuscript Ulysses was encased and since it’s known as not exactly the easiest book to read, they have it open to the last page so you can read it and say you finished it.

 The podium that JFK used when he came to Ireland in June of ’63 was there, and is actually someone’s personal music stand. Helena the guide was saying that the Irish were not accustomed to using podiums, when the men would speak they stood up from where they were seated and would give their talk.

 There was a man however, and I don’t remember if she gave us his name but he felt Kennedy deserved a podium to address the Irish people. Since there were none to be found, he went home to bring back his own personal music stand.

The uniform that Liam Neeson wore in the movie “Michael Collins” was displayed and Helena spoke just briefly of those 6 days of fighting that took place mostly here in Dublin for the Irish independence.  I always get emotional when I hear the details of the 1916 uprising. All the stories of the men involved, James Connolly, Michael Collins, Pearse and De Velara.

When you’re in Dublin, you are surrounded by so much history, one can never forget the struggles Ireland has gone through for years and years. The city is painted with quotes and pictures of the different writers and poets.  I mean that literally, the outside of the pub right next door to where I’m staying is covered with quotes by Yeats, Oscar Wilde, Patrick Kavanagh and others. They’re posted in the hotels, pubs, and even at the airport. I’ve always loved that picture of Samuel Beckett that I posted below. It was at the museum as well.

I’ve just mentioned very few bits of information from the museum this morning, do come to Dublin and see for yourself. Another must –do is Trinity College of course and oh! Dawson Street… A great bookstore called Hodges Figgis.

Helena ended the tour with a quote that says, “Dublin’s best days are both long gone and just around the corner.”

The people of Dublin love their city , so do I.

 
 

















No comments:

Post a Comment