Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Spoken Word ~ The Real Ireland


 Eileen called me on Friday and asked if I wanted to go to a poetry reading that night. It was “Culture Night” so there were events going on all throughout Ireland. The one we went to was at the Abbeyfeale Community Theater, just a short 30-45 minute drive outside of Killarney.  

Eileen was invited as the guest reader for the evening and then it would be “open mic.”  She urged me, really wanted me to bring something to read. I hadn’t prepared anything, didn’t have any of my poems with me heck, I didn’t think I was going to be reading my poetry when I came to Ireland.

She suggested I tell them about the blog and read one of my blog posts. So I did! I told them about our trip to Croatia and read the one called “Boat Rides and Cable Cars." I’m glad I did. It went over well, and after the event several people came up to me and wanted to hear not only more about our trip to Croatia but about life in Las Vegas.

It’s amazing to me the talent in Ireland, and how the writers and poets gather like this and how at any given moment someone may just burst into song. There was a gentleman there who did just that!  Ah, the Irish ballad, delightful.

 It’s lovely how folks will write and share poems and prose about family, perhaps the town they live in, Irish history even a skit from one of the Irish plays.

We didn’t get home until almost midnight, it was a night filled with the spoken word and great conversation, something the Irish have truly mastered.

No comments:

Post a Comment